Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Miles to go before I sleep.

One of my Dad's ex-colleagues recently visited our place. He retired from Office work about 5-6 years back. He falls among those category of people, who, you do not have to work too hard to like. About his life, well, he is unfortunate enough not to be blessed with any children. He used to work in a decent position in Dad's office, so, lets just say, he is more than just stable,financially. He loves to travel and using his resources, he has managed to travel to many, many countries spread over all five continents. From the Taj Mahal, to the African Jungles, to the culturally rich Europe, to the Amazon rainforests, he has been everywhere. No kidding.

If I had to visit any one country in the world, it would be Italy. Apart from the obvious reasons, I have no idea why. Anyway, coming back.With Internet access, all you need to do is type relevant things, and you would be on an almost virtual tour of any place on Earth. Anyway, I always believe, like so many others, that there is no substitute to listening about stories narrated by somebody right in front of you. So, after listening about various incidents and experiences for almost an hour, he said something, which really stayed with me. Here it goes, -- " I've been to so many, so many remote corners of the earth because I love to travel. What travelling a lot does to you is that it kills your pride. We human beings, everyone of us has varying degrees of vanity amongst ourselves. When you travel so much, so many lands, so many people, lifestyles, you actually realise how small and insignificant you are, when compared to the vastness of the planet, not literally. It makes you humble. Humility nowadays is becoming a cult virtue, which it ideally should not be. "

I've travelled too little due to a lot of valid reasons, but the lines got me thinking. He was right of course. I don't know what life has in store for me, or how things will pan out in the future. I've been sitting on my fat ass for months now, but if I have resources and opportunity as life progresses, I will certainly try and cover as many miles as I can, to vanquish my own pride, and know mother Earth, bit by bit. Willpower would be a non - issue.

3 comments:

  1. over the last few days i had started questioning the logic of traveling alone on a pan-india trip post graduation, thanks for providing fresh perspective! ur rite...dre is a lot of difference between virtual and real presence in exotic lands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. And you wouldn't believe by the time, I completed typing this, for a moment, I did think of your pan Indian trip. If all goes well, hopefully I would be able to join you for some phase.but, lets not jinx it by making plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. And you wouldn't believe by the time, I completed typing this, for a moment, I did think of your pan Indian trip. If all goes well, hopefully I would be able to join you for some phase.but, lets not jinx it by making plans.

    ReplyDelete